Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Kindest Words and Baby Miracles

This past week has been one for the record books. In the simplest math I can figure, God has given me 8 miracles.

First things first, my schedule is changing. If you know anything about my family, you know that we are all hard-wired to love the wee morning hours. Not for a cup of morning coffee, but because they wrap up our marathon-length days. We routinely stay up until 2, 3 or 4 in the morning, and, if given the chance, can sleep until well past noon. So, this year, I decided to change my schedule. After a week of going to bed at 4, 5, or 6am, and waking up anywhere from 11am to 1pm, I decided enough was enough. And that is all the history you need to know in order to understand why my miracle meter now reads 8.

I suppose I should mention that part of my morning routine is set aside for God time. It I was trying to change my schedule in order to go do work or some other nonsense thing... forget about it. But my goals were these:
     6:00am Wake up and make breakfast.
     6:30am Sit down and actually enjoy my breakfast, while praying for my day and the people on my
            prayer list. (p.s. That means I pray for most anyone who might actually read this blog).
     7:00am Read a few chapters of my Bible.
     7:30am Grab whatever I need for the first part of my day, and head out to see the sunrise.
     7:42am Watch the sunrise, and sing praised to God. This portion of the day happens on the 5th floor of  
            the parking garage, where many people can see and hear me; but, I don't really care if they hear me
            singing praises to God. He deserves them.
     8:00am Listen to the 1st Pres. church bells. They fill me with awe and appreciation. And then I read or
            sing some more, until I have to go on with my day.

If words could possibly express what getting up and MAKING time for God, first thing in the morning, has done for my life, I'd write a dissertation about it. Lucky for you, there are no words. I cannot tell you how high my heart leaps when God allows me to see the first few rays of sunlight peeking through the clouds. I know words will not allow you to experience the joy I feel, or the love I'm beginning to feel towards my Savior. I can't tell you how awesome it is to have a heart level relationship with God, instead of the head knowledge relationship I've had in the past. The Holy Spirit has changed my life over the past two or three months, but He has taken me even closer to God in this week than I ever really thought was possible. And these words are not sufficient, so I will continue on with my story.

I count each of the seven days that I've been awake at 6:00am as miracles. Not only are they miracles because I was on the waking end of 6:00am, but they are miracles because God MET ME at 6:00am. He quieted my anxious heart. He whispered sweet nothings in my ears. And then he showed me indescribable beauty, in his creation and in his Word. This week I received seven miracles, and a heap-full of Jesus.

This is where the "kindest words" come into play. As I was leaving the Stewart Family/Friend Bible Study (apparently, I've just given it a formal name) Mr. Mike stopped me and a variation of the following exchange occurred.
     Mr. Mike: Christy, you are different today. Your whole demeanor has changed.
     Me: Well, honestly, it is because I've had an awesome week. I've been (insert my morning schedule  
            story here...) and God has really been working this week. It has been awesome!
     Mr. Mike: Well, it shows. That's what happens when the Holy Spirit is present.

If I knew how to create an emoticon with a mouth that gapes open in surprise, I'd include that here. Since I do not know how to create such a character, I will just tell you that I have never had anyone tell me anything so sweet before in my entire life. Even more surprising, is that I truly consider such a comment to be a compliment.

You see, I am quite proud. I like to be good at things. I like to be smart. I like to win. I like for people to know that I have done something wonderful. I NEED to feel special. So, to have someone tell me that they see someone else in me might not have been the biggest complement a few years ago. It wouldn't have stroked my ego enough. But tonight, I was overjoyed. I've been praying for the Fruits of the Spirit. I've been praying "less of me, more of you, Lord." I've been resting in the love of my heavenly Father, and struggling to let go of pride. I still have a LONG way to go, but this week has been sweet. And even though I've been loving it, I never really imagined anyone would see a difference in me. Of course... that is a little silly. If my flaws are replaced with even a smidge of God's perfection, I certainly hope SOMETHING will look different, and with a few sweet words Mr. Mike assured me that God has been faithful. He is slowly shaping me into something that looks more like Him. Praise the Lord!

And here is the part where I almost got a ticket.

Due to my excitement over all that God has been doing in my life, I found myself cruising down 2nd Avenue singing praise to God for being faithful. I was singing along to my 2004 All State CD... yes... I just admitted that. The words were, "shout 'Glory! Glory, Glory!'" and I was certainly doing just that. I was singing and thinking God for all that he has done for me, and apparently my foot got excited too, because I was speeding. Blue lights flashed, and I pulled over in shame.

And this is where God gave me miracle number 8.

As I was getting my license and registration, I thought back to all those times Satan tried to keep me away from church via car issues (he failed). I thought about all the stuff God has done for me. I thought about the fact that Mr. Mike's comment made me happier than I've probably ever been, and I knew Satan was just trying to steal a little of my joy. Sometimes, I can see Satan's game plan, and tonight I knew I could get upset, or just accept that I'd been speeding, and still be happy about God... He still freakin lives INSIDE OF ME. How can that fact not make you at least a LITTLE excited? And a ticket certainly isn't the end of the world... unless you need to keep your CDL license. ;)

So the officer approached, asked me where I was headed in such a hurry. Asked if I was a student at CSU. (All of my answers were, "Home, sir. Sorry, sir. Yes, sir." etc) AND THEN HE TOLD ME TO SLOW DOWN, AND HAVE A GOOD NIGHT.

Now, I was clearly speeding. Without cause. I didn't plead my case. I didn't cry... which reminds me....
      The other time I got pulled over for speeding, I cried and told the officer I'd just gotten a call saying my  
      brother had a seizure and I was just trying to get home. Lies. All Lies. (But I'm forgiven!)
Friends, I didn't need to lie. I didn't even get upset. I was ready to accept the consequences of my actions, and the officer gave me a pass without even giving me a hard time. When you have my circumstantial track record... where anything that can go wrong, goes wrong, you see things like these as miracles.

So that is how God provided for me tonight. He provided me with friends and a surrogate family, he provided me with sweet words that brought me joy, and he brought me a citation-free evening.

So, I will simply end by stating the truth. God is good--all the time. He is good when you get a ticket, and when you don't. He is good when you are alone with him, and when you are surrounded by friends who celebrate Him with you. He is good when you are happy, and when you are sad. And my prayer is that He reveals himself to you too, friends.

Rejoice in the Lord ALWAYS, and again I say "Rejoice!"

2 comments:

  1. And then there was that time Tiff and I were cruising through Tennessee singing "I am a C-H-R-I-S-T-I-A-N" and I got pulled for speeding...and got the ticket. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clearly, you have not been watching enough Joel Osteen/praying hard enough for a shield against tickets. Duh. ;)

    ReplyDelete